Following a number of cases of bird flu, in both wild and captive birds in the UK, allotment holders who keep chickens, need to follow the government’s legal requirements from 14th December 2020.
Food safety advice regarding eggs remains unchanged.
- Look out for signs of bird flu: swollen head, blue discolouration of neck and throat, coughing and sneezing, diarrhoea
- Keep poultry, food and water indoors.
- Keep poultry separate from wildlife by putting suitable fencing around outdoor areas they access.
- Clean footwear with disinfectant before and after visiting your poultry.
- Report any signs of bird flu in poultry or wild birds to DEFRA: 03000 200 301
- Report dead wild birds to DEFRA: 03459 33 55 77
- For further information go to: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-national-prevention-zone-declared